Friday, July 8, 2011

3 Years: Memoir of a Kuli

June 13th 2008

Soekarno Hatta airport, Indonesia. There I was, a fresh graduate girl surrounded by my families and loved ones getting ready to head to Abu Dhabi, about to start a new life as a working woman after years and years of studying. I was scared, and excited of what to come. Leaving comfort zone is never easy, heading to a new country that doesn't speak the same language as you are is also scary, and on top of all that...Living alone without family, friend or loved one on an all new life being a grown up. But leaving all the anxiety aside, there I was...stepping my feet leaving them all behind physically,but keep them close still in my heart.

June 15th 2011

Chateau du Mee Residences, Ille de France. I am taking my 2nd tools course now and on the 5th week I thought that I've had enough with the food here. So I wanted to cook, and invited my classmates to come over to my apartment to have food and share good times. But then Riter comes to my room with this big bucket of ice cream and a 3 shaped candle. And so after dinner, she lit it up and sang:

"Happy "bluecompany" birthday to you"

which was hilarious and fun.




So here I am 3 years later, again in another country. Surrounded by what I call now as my "extended family". People who are going through the same location with me, sharing classes for weeks, sharing good laugh, sometimes good food but most definitely good friends. Years passed. Working at the field, having to overcome a lot of challenges personally and professionally, meeting different people and going to places definitely makes me stronger. Also, I am a grateful for having a man as a husband now, sharing our life together growing old. I am not the same person as I was years ago. Hopefully better. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment