Tuesday, July 10, 2012

The Ramen Experiment

Alrighty...i shall say hell-o to the blog...again, its been soo very long time since my last post..wait, it was 2 months ago so..not so long compared to my other vacuums :p hehehee

I moved to Tunis now, and to tell you the truth, I am a lot happier here than in Sfax..I mean, really..the food is better, i have more places to go to, more variety of food in the market..and I don't have to do that stupid 3 hours train after a long haul flight! And plus, the doctor speaks better English :)

As i told you before HERE in Tunisia I cook more often..not only because its cheaper, but also it fits better with my palate. Especially now that I am welcoming the little one in our little family (yes, i have been blessed with a bun in the oven and I have made some stories about it, but I guess I will let the convo between me and the little one private ;) ) I just CANNOT stand local food at all. And by local food I mean food that is cooked and prepared here in Tunisia. Amazing gak? even fried rice in the nearest Thai food resto makes my tummy swirl and says NO..so I have no other option but to cook, using only the ingredients I know I will like. For the first 3 months the most famous and notorious: salt, pepper, and sugar :D are the only spices that I can use in my food. Oh, and KECAP manis..hehehe :p

Alhamdulillah..I can still cook despite all this..most of the people I know vomit so heavily with just the smell of the kitchen. Telling you the truth? ME TOO...but I cannot afford staying away from the kitchen if all I can eat is my own cooking..doing so means that I am selfish and not being grateful of the gift of life given to me. So yeah, I used mask in the kitchen sometimes...hahahaha...but now its getting better..I can eat more variety of spices in food (still my own cooking) without gagging when smelling it and I have more energy...So I can go back to the kitchen and experiment :D

Now come to think of it, the name of the blog is THE SINGING KITCHEN, but I have never ever ever talked about any of my kitchen adventures and the result. So today, when I made my first (after so many attempts of unsuccessful try) successfull ramen broth :D, I am so very happy with the result I'm sharing it with you...I hope you enjoy it :)

DISCLAIMER: this ramen is far from authentic, it is made using the ingredients that I can find in Tunisia which means limited amount of authentic Japanese ingredients. But it actually tasted good and I liked it :)


SPICY CHICKEN RAMEN



Ingredients:

  • 1 chicken breast fillet. cut to bite size pieces.
  • 4 leaves of cabbage. thinly sliced
  • 3 dry cloud ear mushroom (jamur kuping). soak it in warm water for 45 minutes and chop.
  • 1 block of dry ramen
  • 1/2 small sized onion. chopped
  • 1 clove of garlic. crushed
  • 1 red chilli pepper
  • 3 cups of chicken stock (ini maksudnya 3 gelas ya bok..bukan 3 cangkir)
  • 1/2 tsp of ginger powder (you can definitely use fresh ginger if you want to, I just cant find it here in)
  • 1/2 tsp of rice vinegar
  • 1/2 tsp of sesame oil
  • 2 tbsp of vegetable oil or sunflower oil
  • 5 tsp of chilli powder (or less if you want to)
  • 1 tsp of sugar
  • 1 tbsp of soy sauce (kecap asin. You can also use kikkoman)
  •  salt and peper to taste
  • spring onion as garnish (if you like. Me no like :D)

How To:

  1. Heat up a medium sized pot and add the vegetable oil in it. Once the oil is hot, bring the heat to medium high, add the chicken and cook until brown.
  2. Once the chicken is browned and cooked through, add the onion and saute until soft, then add the garlic and saute again until its fragrant. Add the chilli, cabbage, and cloud ear mushroom and continue cooking until the cabbage and chilly is slightly wilted.
  3. While cooking the veggies, add the ginger powder (if you use fresh ginger, saute it together with the garlic), chilli powder, salt, pepper, sugar, soy sauce, sesame oil, and rice vinegar and stirr.
  4. Add the chicken stock and reduce the heat to medium. Cook until the stock is simmering.
  5. Meanwhile, in a separate pot, add water and cook the dry ramen noodle in boiling water for 3 minutes.
  6. To assemble: put the boiled ramen in a bowl, add the soup with the chicken and veggies on top of the noodle. You can add some boiled egg or chopped spring onion if you like, but since I don't, I eat it as it is. Enjoy :D
Yield: 2 portion.

No comments:

Post a Comment