Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Challenge Accepted!! 30 Days No Make Up Challenge And My Winter Skincare Ritual



Okay so here’s the thing about Mr. Hubby. He is one of those guys who don’t like girls with heavy make up on.  As a matter of fact, he prefers woman who bare it all when it comes to the make up department. He has been pointing it out long time back the first time we dated, and has been quite vocally campaigning against his wifey using make up. He agrees make up usage on special occasions like date night, formal dinner, and parties but not on a daily basis. Less make up more skin care has been his motto since.

When we moved to Tunisia, he became more vocal on his campaign. He said that girls in this country has always been wearing heavy make up on a daily basis and that makes them look a lot older than their actual age. And when their make up is off, these girls look pale and unattractive. He raises his concerns that the same thing will happen to me. That too much make up will suffocate my skin and by the end of the day damage it. I, for one, don’t really agree on his argument. Especially when it comes to makeup suffocating the skin part. I mean, with the advanced technology nowadays the make up producers are adding beneficial skin care ingredients to their product so the make up also takes care of the skin. And as long as we take a good care of cleansing our face before we sleep, our skin should be just fine.

Now to make us all in the same page, I need to make a base definition on make up here. My daily routine after sunscreen for the past few years has been: BB cream or light foundation, loose powder applied with brush, eyeliner, a coat of mascara, blush (after powder if I use powder blush, or before powder if I use a liquid one), and lipstick / lip gloss depending on my mood. That is too much already according to Mr. Hubby. His definition of “bare face” is just me setting the sunscreen with loose / compact powder and a lipstick / lip gloss.

So to add some flare to the life, and to see whether or not he got a valid point, I make this 30 days no make up challenge. With this challenge, I will not be using any make up on aside from a compact / lose powder and lipstick / tint / gloss. I will be updating the result with picture in a weekly basis to see how it goes.

Now my skin condition is very dry, thanks to the cold winter wind and has some black spots thanks to the acne from the time of my pregnancy and the first 40 days post natal of littleM. I have been changing skin care regime since my pregnancy mostly because my skin condition has changed a lot and apparently the last one no longer works for me anymore. For winter time, my rituals will be: 


  1. Eye Make Up Remover: Lancome Bi Facil has been my favorite so far. I chose this basically because I’m currently using Lancome’s Hypnose waterproof mascara (which I really like) and this remover does a great job in removing the stubborn mascara off my lashes.
  2. Cleansing milk. Have been double cleansing for several months now and I like how my skin feels clean and brighter after. I use the over the counter Nivea cleanser simply because I am new in this double cleansing department and I want to make sure that I can stick to this ritual before I decide to get a more sophisticated one. And Yes, I managed to be able to stick to this routine every day
  3. ace Wash. I’m currently using Elizabeth Arden Intervene Daily Exfoliator. I like the fact that it has a soft texture yet exfoliates my skin at the same time. But if I’m in a lazy mood, I use the La Roche Posay Physiologique Micellaire Water with a cotton pad and move on to the next phase.
  4. Serum. I’m currently using Estee Lauder Advanced Night Repair and so far I really liked how it feels on my skin, and how it makes my skin looks in the morning. I use it twice daily: day and night. In the summer time, this is the end of my routine. I’m usually just happy enough with this serum and go to sleep because I really don’t like the feel of heavy cream on my face especially when baby is around I need something that absorbs fast and I can move on to next activity with my littleM :)
  5. Moisturiser. This has been my saviour during the dry cold winter season. I’m using Clinique oisture Surge Intense allover my face and add more to the driest part of my face, namely my nose and cheeks. The texture is light but super moisturizing and not oily at all. I don’t normally use moisturiser in summer time or when I’m in humid places like back home in Indonesia, but here during winter it’s a life saver.

Now having mentioned all of those, I have to say that I’m currently bought a set of essential oils from Young Living that I wanted to try on. I first bought this for littleM to boost her immune system especially when we have to travel during winter times. And so far the Thieves, Lavender, and Peppermint oil has done wonders to her immune system. I have also heard wonders about this oil when applied on the face, especially to reduce the marks from acne scars. My Serum and moisturiser has also finished now. So I decided I want to try it on and see how it goes.

Last night, after I clean my face, I skip the serum and moisturizer part and decided to test the oils. I use three essential oils: Lemon, Frankincense, and Lavender. I'm currently have this huge ugly bump of acne on my cheeks so I rub a drop of Lemon oil on the zit, wait for 2 minutes, and then mix a drop of Frankincense and Lavender on my palm and rub it to my face. You can see more here. Frankincense has known for its skin care property for dry skin while Lavender is good to help cell rejuvenation so lets see how it goes. As for the smell, I have to say that it's not as strong as I thought it would be. Definitely different with the "kemenyan" aroma that I normally inhale anywhere in this part of the world when they burn the incenses.


So this is me last night after washing my face and rub the oils. When I woke up this morning, I found that my skin is moist, not dry even though I'm not using the moisturizer and serum (another factor can be because we are entering spring where the weather is warmer and a tad more humid than December-January). My skin also look glowing and brighter. The picture below is taken this morning when I just woke up before I took a shower.


Now on to the 30 days no make up challenge, today is day one of the challenge. The terms and condition is as follows:
  • I can wear only loose / compact powder and lipstick/balm/tint.
  • In the case of special occasion like wedding parties / formal dinner, make up is allowed.
  • If during the 30 days period I use another type of make up then I have to start back at 1 :)
So those are my arsenal for the 30 days challenge. I'm currently using Dior Snow UV Shield with SPF 50 in Transparent, MAC lip balm, Estee Lauder Compact Powder, MAC eyelash curler, and those on the back are my favorite MLBB lipsticks :) This is how I look after I finished prepping:


The lipstick I'm using is Givenchy Le Rouge in 202 Rose Dressing. I'm pretty excited of how this experiment will go, so as I said before I will update you on a weekly basis. If you want to join the experiment, please feel free to tag along and tell me what you feel out of it.

Until then, toodles!!


No comments:

Post a Comment